Most of us go about our lives, assuming that the changes we may feel in our bodies are simply signs of aging. When we’re sick, we look for treatments and quick fixes. A more proactive approach to your health could save you from the financial and emotional distress that comes with a scary diagnosis.
In this episode, Dr Charles Meakin discusses how Care Oncology has provided early detection services, along with alternative and additional treatments for cancer patients. He talks about the benefits of disease prevention, particularly cancer prevention. He also shares the six fundamentals for better health and encourages us to live healthier, even if we don't suffer from diseases.
Read the episode if you want to learn more about cancer and disease prevention through better life practices!
Here are three reasons you should listen to the full episode:
- Understand how Care Oncology is providing accessible options for cancer detection and treatment. Find out the four drugs on which the company is focusing its efforts.
- Discover Dr Charles' six fundamentals for better health.
- Learn to see threats as opportunities and be able to stay consistent.
Get Customised Guidance for Your Genetic Make-Up
For our epigenetics health program, all about optimising your fitness, lifestyle, nutrition, and mental performance to your particular genes, go to https://wellness.lisatamati.com/epigenetics.
Customised Online Coaching for Runners
CUSTOMISED RUN COACHING PLANS — How to Run Faster, Be Stronger, Run Longer Without Burnout & Injuries
Have you struggled to fit into training in your busy life? Maybe you don't know where to start, or perhaps you have done a few races but keep having motivation or injury troubles?
Do you want to beat last year or finish at the front of the pack? Want to run your first 5-km or run a 100-miler?
Do you want a holistic program that is personalised & customised to your ability, goals, and lifestyle?
Go to www.runninghotcoaching.com for our online run training coaching.
Health Optimisation and Life Coaching
Are you struggling with a health issue and need people who look outside the square and are connected to some of the world's greatest science and health minds? Then reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we can jump on a call to see if we are a good fit for you.
If you have an enormous challenge ahead, are dealing with adversity, or want to take your performance to the next level and learn how to increase your mental toughness, emotional resilience, foundational health, and more, contact us at email@example.com.
Order My Books
My latest book, Relentless, chronicles the inspiring journey of how my mother and I defied the odds after an aneurysm left my mum Isobel with massive brain damage at age 74. The medical professionals told me there was absolutely no hope of any quality of life again. Still, I used every mindset tool, years of research, and incredible tenacity to prove them wrong and bring my mother back to full health within three years. Get your copy here: https://shop.lisatamati.com/collections/books/products/relentless.
For my other two best-selling books Running Hot and Running to Extremes, chronicling my ultra-running adventures and expeditions all around the world, go to https://shop.lisatamati.com/collections/books.
Lisa's Anti-Ageing and Longevity Supplements
NMN: Nicotinamide Mononucleotide, an NAD+ precursor
Feel Healthier and Younger*
Researchers have found that Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide or NAD+, a master regulator of metabolism and a molecule essential for the functionality of all human cells, is being dramatically decreased over time.
What is NMN?
NMN Bio offers a cutting-edge Vitamin B3 derivative named NMN (beta Nicotinamide Mononucleotide) that can boost the levels of NAD+ in muscle tissue and the liver. Take charge of your energy levels, focus, metabolism, and overall health to live a happy, fulfilling life.
Founded by scientists, NMN Bio offers supplements of the highest purity and is rigorously tested by an independent, third-party lab. Start your cellular rejuvenation journey today.
Support Your Healthy Aging
We offer powerful third-party tested NAD+ boosting supplements so you can start your healthy aging journey today.
Shop now: https://nmnbio.nz/collections/all
- NMN (beta Nicotinamide Mononucleotide) 250mg | 30 capsules
- NMN (beta Nicotinamide Mononucleotide) 500mg | 30 capsules
- 6 Bottles | NMN (beta Nicotinamide Mononucleotide) 250mg | 30 Capsules
- 6 Bottles | NMN (beta Nicotinamide Mononucleotide) 500mg | 30 Capsules
Quality You Can Trust — NMN
Our premium range of anti-aging nutraceuticals (supplements that combine Mother Nature with groundbreaking science) combats the effects of aging while designed to boost NAD+ levels—manufactured in an ISO9001 certified facility.
Boost Your NAD+ Levels — Healthy Aging: Redefined
- Cellular Health
- Energy & Focus
- Bone Density
- Skin Elasticity
- DNA Repair
- Cardiovascular Health
- Brain Health
- Metabolic Health
My 'Fierce' Sports Jewellery Collection
For my gorgeous and inspiring sports jewellery collection, 'Fierce,' go to https://shop.lisatamati.com/collections/lisa-tamati-bespoke-jewellery-collection.
[03:45] Dr Charles' and Care Oncology's Background
- Charles has worked in oncology for 30 years. He started working at a big hospital in Charlotte, but pivoted after becoming legally blind.
- He eventually discovered Care Oncology, a company that applies metabolic strategies for cancer treatment.
- Care Oncology was started by Robin Bannister, a pharmacist and drug developer. His wife had developed stage-four breast cancer and had exhausted all treatment options.
- Robin selected four drugs commonly used for non-cancer disorders but were found to affect cancer.
- Robin selected four drugs based on human data, safety, non-overlapping effects, and their benefits for other chronic conditions.
[08:46] Care Oncology's Approach
- Care Oncology uses metformin, atorvastatin, doxycycline, and mebendazole. The company kept to the dosage of the four drugs within a specific range.
- Additional drugs, like Prozac and oxaloacetate, also proved helpful along with the metabolic approach.
- Over the years, cancer research has focused more on the somatic mutation theory than the metabolic theory.
- The metabolic approach to cancer is slowly becoming more widespread.
- Even Dr Weinberg, who championed the hallmarks of cancer, added three more hallmarks that are purely metabolic.
[16:52] Diet and Future of the Metabolic Approach
- From a somatic perspective, diet is not very important to curing cancer; however, food does affect cancer.
- The standard American diet of proteins and fruits and grains can cause issues for cancer patients.
- Care Oncology has recently merged with Stage Zero Life Sciences for early detection. They perform blood biopsies and are looking into the RNA expression of white blood cells.
- Early detection technology is slowly becoming more available.
- As the company expands, they intend to add various types of cancers to their treatment list. . Learn about Care Oncology's testing process by listening to the full episode.
[30:38] What Care Oncology Prioritises
- Charles shares that Care Oncology prioritises the markers with the most impact, as nuanced tests are more expensive.
- The death rate from cancer may decrease, but the cancer rate is increasing.
- He shares how one in three women who get breast cancer become bankrupt after treatments.
- Care Oncology wants to reverse this experience by providing cheaper early detection methods through blood biopsies. Their process includes follow-ups and discussions.
- Their State Zero tests are currently available only in the US, but the company hopes to expand over time.
[36:28] Why Early Detection is Important
- Tests can predict patterns before cancer physically manifests.
- It's important to get regular physicals, lifestyle checks, and screenings every 18 months to 2 years.
- The earlier you detect cancer, the higher the survival rate. . Early detection can also mean less expensive.
- According to Charles, colon cancer detected in stage one has a 90% chance of being cured. However, the later the cancer is detected, the lower the chance of being cured.
- It costs more to fix something than to prevent something.
[43:11] There's No One Treatment for Everyone
- Charles shares that his best outcomes were when he customised treatments based on patients' needs.
- Unfortunately, cancer treatment is often too focused on following guidelines.
- It’s important for patients to have hope that they can get better.
- Unfortunately, physicians have little time to fully engage with patients.
- There is no “right way” to treat cancer. What works for one patient may not work for others.
- Talk to your doctors about what you’re putting in your body. This also applies to the vaccine and diet.
[56:12] Balance is Key
- It’s important to be aware of your sugar intake. A patient’s BMI can have an impact on the success of treatments.
- Charles recommends intermittent fasting with a diet of animal protein, healthy fats, and low fructose fruits. Couple this diet with micro-exercises before and after meals.
- Our muscles are the biggest organ in our body, and they can act as metabolic neutralizers.
- Make sure your meals are balanced. Remember to consider your sleep and mood.
[1:01:48] Find Opportunities
- Everything can be seen as an opportunity to learn more about yourself and to grow.
- See things as a challenge instead of a threat.
- Not everyone has a growth mindset, but people will develop this by identifying their purpose.
[1:06:32] Dr Mekin’s Recommendations: BEGSIS
- First, nostril breathing.
- Second, eat only real foods made up of fats, proteins, and low carbohydrates. Keep yourself hydrated.
- Get moving to maintain and enhance your functionality.
- Sleep. Make sure you recover and have your rhythms in order.
- Have intent and always have a mission bigger than yourself.
- Be social and involve yourself with others. Social isolation is a predictor of demise.
[1:10:37] Focus on Fundamentals
- With everything happening in the world, it's easy to focus on the negative.
- Remember to be in the moment and look for the beauty in life.
- Get back to the core fundamentals.
[1:13:33] Keep Testing Yourself
- Not everyone can do everything at the same time. Therefore, doctors need to help people prioritise what will work for them.
- Charles shares that he's very proud of Care Oncology's work in cancer treatment.
- Despite being 63, he likes to climb mountains annually to challenge himself.
- Charles details how he puts himself in uncomfortable situations in the full episode.
[1:19:21] Future of Medicine
- Charles shares that the next ten years may change many things in medicine.
- Look into the research. Clinical practice is often behind the latest developments.
- Stay persistent and take care of yourself.
- Twenty years ago, people would die one year after losing their vitality and independence. Now, they tend to live up to 12 years. They may be alive, but they're often unhappy.
7 Powerful Quotes.'
'A healthy person has multiple wishes and ideas while a sick person only has one wish — that's to get better again. Early spending of the dedication of time and money pays off.'
'A lower dose metabolic protocol with prescription drugs and supplements, and lifestyle coaching prevent the development of disease or cancer.'
'If you find cancer in stage one, you have a greater than 90% cure, which is surgery at most. Then if you find it in stage four, the cure rate drops down to the mid-teens, then you're never off treatment, and you will spend a fortune.'
'...to eat anything. That is the worst advice that you can give a cancer patient.'
"We're evolutionarily designed to eat primarily fats and proteins with some seasonal carbohydrates. So that's what 99% of our biology was based on.'
'Sometimes, an ounce of prevention could save you financially and, actually, health.'
'A lot of times, there's a silver lining to some of these obstacles put in our way.'
About Dr Charles
Dr Charles Meakin is the US Medical Director at Care Oncology Clinic with over 40 years of experience in healthcare, eastern philosophies, fitness predictors of longevity, and happiness. In 2018, he retired after 30 years in radiation oncology practice due to a worsening retinal condition. He then joined Care Oncology and launched his charity health and wellness coaching.
Want to learn more about Charles? Check out Care Oncology and Coach it Forward, Chuck.
You can also find him on LinkedIn.
Enjoyed This Podcast?
If you did, subscribe and share it with your friends!
Post a review and share it! If you enjoyed tuning in, then leave us a review. You can also share this with your family and friends so they can know how to prevent diseases like cancer.
If you have any other queries, you can contact me through email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or find me on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube.
For more episode updates, visit my website. You may also tune in on Apple Podcasts.
To pushing the limits, Lisa.